NuCore is the in-house brand of Floor and Decor, providing sublime quality Vinyl Flooring within both the Luxury Vinyl Tile (LVT) and Luxury Vinyl Plank (LVP) versions. It is sold exclusively at Floor and Decor and its planks featuring the rigid plastic core have a quality similar to the flooring planks from various renowned brands such as Armstrong, Shaw, and LifeProof.
NuCore comes with a massive selection of more than 100 Vinyl Plank Flooring options and in addition to a reasonable quality, you also get the added advantage of affordability.
Decent warranties, excellent resilience, and heavy-duty performance are some of the other benefits of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring, making it an entirely worthwhile and cost-effective choice of floor treatment.
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring Reviews
Flooring Pure has come up with the most precise guide about NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring, including all the essential and worth-knowing aspects, from structural comprehension to the cost-determining factors. This helpful compilation will be your ultimate help regarding the perfect floor treatment selection.
Within our analysis, we’ve got you the info about everything that makes NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring worth the choice. Also, we do include some of the non-favorable aspects of this flooring as well, in addition to the advantages. Lastly, we’ll be taking a look at the availability factors of this vinyl plank flooring, followed by a cost-based comparison with other famous vinyl flooring brands.
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring Lines
There are two main lines of the NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring. These are basically the two variants of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring, with one being a relatively “normal” or basic choice while the other one is the premium selection.
- NuCore has all the five finishes Hand Scraped, High Gloss, Smooth, EIR, and Textured, as well.
- There are relatively more versatile style choices available within the NuCore line, as compared to the NuCore Performance.
- The flooring of this line works for Sunroom usage, as well.
- This NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring line is completely waterproof.
- NuCore Performance has the two finishes of Textured and EIR (Embossed in Register).
- It is a bit more expensive than the standard NuCore with the addition of “Techtanium”, a layering or addition of some sort that serves the purpose of providing additional stability and resilience.
- Techtanium also does the job of saving the NuCore Performance flooring from scratching, denting, and UV damage.
- This line, as well, is completely waterproof in its working.
Major Characteristics Of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
Post the line’s description, comes the structural comprehension of the NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring. Beginning from the construction and going all the way to the apparent attributes, here’s all that you need to know about NuCore Vinyl Plank and whether or not to opt for such a choice.
Construction Of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
NuCore is also known as the rigid core since it is one of the new breeds of Luxury Vinyl Plank. It features a construction that is somewhat similar to the structure of Laminate Flooring, i.e. a layered construction.
These are the layers that form NuCore Vinyl Planks:
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring features a pre-attached cork backing, which works as an underlayment between the flooring and the subfloor.
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring features a waterproof rigid core that is constructed from plastic composite.
Vinyl Layer is the immediate next layer to the waterproof rigid core and is adhered to it, for ensuring the best structural stability.
The design layer or decorative layer is the one that goes atop the Vinyl layer and features the realistic image of wood or stone, thus giving the NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring it’s authentic and adorable styling.
The topmost wear layer of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring has a thickness of 22 mils and has a highly resistant nature, therefore works as a protective barrier for the rest of the flooring components.
Finishes Of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
These are the finishing options available for NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring.
NuCore EIR (Embossed In Register)
|Characteristic Quality||Availability In NuCore EIR Finish|
|Distinction||Otherwise known as “Authentic Texture” flooring, this finish excellently resembles hardwood with deep wood grains and is made from real wood molds. Moreover, the finish is meant to last for a lifetime, too, without the need for refinishing.|
|Warranty||NuCore EIR Finish Vinyl Plank Flooring comes with a lifetime residential warranty and up to 15 years of commercial warranty.|
|Plank Thickness||The plank thickness of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring with an EIR finish ranges between 6.5 mm and 8 mm.|
|Wear Layer||22 mils are the wear layer thickness of NuCore EIR Finish flooring.|
|Width||Most of the NuCore EIR Finish planks are 6’’ to 8’’ wide, with a few having a multi-width, essentially 3 different widths for a plank.|
|Edge||The edges of NuCore EIR Finish flooring are beveled.|
|Types||NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring having the EIR finish only comes within the wood type and there is no tile or stone type available.|
|Available Styles||There are around 20 styles available for NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring with an EIR finish.|
|Available Colors||Most of the available colors in this finish are, light, dark and medium hues|
|Areas Of Application||NuCore EIR Finish flooring works wonders for residential uses, due to the beauty factor, which is to say that this flooring not only seems the most visually pleasing but also feels great underfoot. It can be used in commercial settings as well, but with the condition of regular and proper upkeep.|
NuCore Hand Scraped
|Characteristic Quality||Availability In NuCore Hand Scraped Finish|
|Distinction||NuCore Hand Scraped Finish flooring features a rustic or classic appearance since it has been worked by hand. Molds are used to make these planks, thus giving off a classic appearance and sensation.|
|Warranty||NuCore Hand Scraped Finish Vinyl Plank Flooring comes with a lifetime residential warranty and up to 15 years of commercial warranty.|
|Plank Thickness||The plank thickness of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring with a Hand Scraped finish is 6.5 mm.|
|Wear Layer||22 mils are the wear layer thickness of NuCore Hand Scraped Finish flooring.|
|Width||Most of the NuCore Hand Scraped Finish planks are 6’’ to 8’’ wide.|
|Edge||The edges of NuCore Hand Scraped Finish flooring are beveled.|
|Types||NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring having the hand-scraped finish only comes within the wood type.|
|Available Styles||There are around 20 styles available for NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring with a hand-scraped finish.|
|Available Colors||Most of the available colors in this finish are grays, light, dark and medium hues|
|Areas Of Application||NuCore Hand Scraped finish flooring goes best with residential and commercial interiors having a rustic or classic decor. Some major examples are lodges, cabins, cottages, and retreat centers.|
NuCore High Gloss
|Characteristic Quality||Availability In NuCore High Gloss Finish|
|Distinction||NuCore High Gloss Finish flooring features a sparkling gloss and a wood grain beauty that stands out. However, a proper, frequent, and streak-free cleaning is required for maintaining this floor.|
|Warranty||NuCore High Gloss Finish Vinyl Plank Flooring comes with a lifetime residential warranty and up to 15 years of commercial warranty.|
|Plank Thickness||The plank thickness of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring with a High Gloss finish is 6.5 mm.|
|Wear Layer||22 mils is the wear layer thickness of NuCore High Gloss Finish flooring.|
|Width||Most of the NuCore High Gloss Finish planks are 6’’ to 8’’ wide.|
|Edge||The edges of NuCore High Gloss Finish flooring are micro-beveled.|
|Types||Most of the types of NuCore High Gloss Finish flooring are wood ones with a few being stones and tile look choices.|
|Available Styles||There are about 10 styles available for NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring with a high gloss finish.|
|Available Colors||Most of the available colors in this finish are grays, light, dark and medium hues.|
|Areas Of Application||NuCore High Gloss Finish flooring goes well with both classics as well as modern decor themes.|
|Characteristic Quality||Availability In NuCore Smooth Finish|
|Distinction||NuCore Smooth Finish flooring gives off a subtle, sleek, and modern look and is also majorly similar to the High Gloss finish option. Moreover, it’s the finishing option that is the most convenient to clean.|
|Warranty||NuCore Smooth Finish Vinyl Plank Flooring comes with a lifetime residential warranty and up to 15 years of commercial warranty.|
|Plank Thickness||The plank thickness of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring with a smooth finish is 6.5 mm.|
|Wear Layer||22 mils is the wear layer thickness of NuCore Smooth Finish flooring.|
|Width||Both the planks and tiles of NuCore Smooth Finish flooring are 12’’ x 24’’ wide.|
|Edge||The edges of NuCore Smooth Finish flooring are micro-beveled.|
|Types||There are both stones as well as wood types available for NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring with a smooth finish.|
|Available Styles||NuCore Smooth Finish Vinyl Plank Flooring comes with a few styles, essentially less than 5.|
|Available Colors||Most of the available colors in this finish are grays and lighter hues.|
|Areas Of Application||NuCore Smooth Finish flooring pairs up well with modern interior design themes of both residential and commercial spaces.|
|Characteristic Quality||Availability In NuCore Textured Finish|
|Distinction||It’s the most abundant range of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring and there are extensive cost, style, and color options available. “Textured” refers to the fact that the planks are given an authentic stone or wood feel with the help of molds. The flooring with this finish gives off the most authentic feel of the look that’s meant to be imitated.|
|Warranty||NuCore Textured Finish Vinyl Plank Flooring comes with a lifetime residential warranty and up to 15 years of commercial warranty.|
|Plank Thickness||The plank thickness of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring with a textured finish ranges between 6.5 mm and 8 mm.|
|Wear Layer||22 mils is the wear layer thickness of NuCore Textured Finish flooring.|
|Width||The planks of NuCore Textured Finish flooring are either 3’’ to 8’’ wide or 6’’ to 8’’ wide. Tiles have a standard thickness of 12’’ x 24’’. The plank styles having a wood-look feature a mixed width.|
|Edge||The edges of NuCore Textured Finish flooring are beveled for most of the options while there are a couple of straight-edged ones available too.|
|Types||Most of the NuCore Textured Finish flooring features wood looks with a few options being tile and stone looks, as well.|
|Available Styles||There are around 50 different styles available for NuCore Textured Finish flooring and all of them are locking with a tongue and groove design. This also gives rise to the feasible DIY installation of NuCore Textured Finish flooring.|
|Available Colors||Most of the available colors in this finish are grays.|
|Areas Of Application||NuCore Textured Finish Flooring works wonders as the traditional-looking wood or stone floor for both residential as well as commercial spaces.|
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring Colors
These are the major color choices available in NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring and they make up the most impressive style statements with over 100 style choices.
These colors best suit all sorts of rustic, classic, old wood, and of course modern interior themes and you can induce their all-natural charming beauty for giving rise to the best decor outcomes.
Backing Of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
- NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring features a specialized built-in cork backing and therefore it can be placed directly onto the subfloor, without any particular conditions.
- This backing not only serves as the most incredible and serviceable underlayment for the flooring but also makes it really cozy to walk over.
- The cork backing also tends to absorb most of the excessive noise production, thus contributing to making your interiors even more comfortable and peaceful same as laminate flooring does.
Particular Features Of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring incredibly combines the most favorable functionality as well as the best of aesthetics. It features various innovative features, making it highly enduring and the foremost suitable choice for a vast majority of usage scenarios:
Here are the major ones.
- Incredible Style Collection
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring comes with more than 100 versatile options of styles and colors. From parquet flooring patterns to prefinished hardwood flooring any and every distinctive design statement can be easily achieved with this smart and realistic-looking alternative.
- Antibacterial Nature
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring not only is the easiest to clean but also features an antibacterial and anti-mold nature, which makes it even more convenient to maintain. Not to mention the obvious factor of flawless hygiene sustenance.
- GreenGuard Gold Certification
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring features GreenGuard Gold Certification for being an efficiently low-VOC flooring and ultimately the safest flooring choice. This way, it will effectively ensure a fine indoor air quality and eventually the well-maintained health of your family.
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring offers a lifetime residential warranty and the commercial warranty is up to 15 years, making it a super suitable choice for most of the usage scenarios. As for the NuCore Performance line, the commercial warranty extends up to 20 years.
- Versatile Installation
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring is the ideal-grade advantageous floor treatment choice that can be used for literally any and every space. And this goes the same for any given level of the house, as well. Besides, since it’s completely waterproof flooring, it’s the ultimate fool-proof choice for moisture-prone areas like bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, and even basements too. Last but not least, it can also be installed over subfloors having embedded radiant heating (with the condition of temperature not exceeding 85℉.
Pros And Cons Of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
While NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring is a truly amazing and favorable floor treatment choice, there’s always room for betterment. And of course, taking a look at its advantages and disadvantages will help you determine the right choice for your requirements.
|Authentic Hardwood Look: NuCore Vinyl Plank is a wonderful alternative to wood floors and it ensures the best aesthetic uplifting with the most amazing design versatility.||Vulnerability to damage: NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring is susceptible to warping and swelling. Also, the scratch-resistant quality isn’t entirely effective, which is to say that this flooring is just resistant to the damage caused by scratches, and isn’t really scratch-proof.|
|Excellent Waterproof Construction: NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring is 100% waterproof in nature and therefore can be installed in all spaces and at all ground levels, as well.||Ineffective Wear Layer: Although the wear layer of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring is perfectly thick according to the industry standards, it still isn’t capable of preventing scratches and dents. The Techtanium material does not provide enough security.|
|Decent Warranties and Resistance: NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring offers incredible warranties for both residential and commercial usage. Moreover, it is highly resistant to scratching, and staining and is antimicrobial in nature, as well.||Confined Availability: NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring can only be obtained from Floor and Decor and nowhere else.|
|Pre-attached and Comfortable Backing: The built-in backing of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring makes it easier to put it directly onto the subfloor. Besides, this backing also makes the flooring extremely comfortable to walk over, while significantly reducing the excessive noise production, as well.|
|Convenient Installation and Maintenance: NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring comes with the easiest DIY installation and caring for it is also very easy and practicable, to boot.|
|Affordability: NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring is a super budget-friendly floor treatment solution, with the NuCore thickness and durability being additional perks.|
Installation And Maintenance Of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
One of the major plus points of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring is that it’s super easy and practical to add to the house. Besides, the same goes for its maintenance since caring for your NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring will neither cost you any extra expenses nor will require you to indulge in any additional efforts, at all.
Installing NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
- NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring comes with the simplest and most DIY-friendly manner of installation which is a floating floor system. A DIY installation can easily cut down the entire project expenses.
- There is no particular subfloor requirement for NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring since it can be installed over any and every surface, as long as it is perfectly leveled, damaged and moisture-free.
- In occasional cases of uneven subfloors, you can consider the installation of a plywood subfloor with a preferable thickness of 6mm at least. Alternatively, you can also achieve similar results by adding self-leveling concrete.
- An additional vapor barrier is essential in case you’re dealing with concrete subfloors and if you look forward to noise reduction (sound absorption) as well, then you should opt for the usage of an additional Sentinel Protect Plus Underlayment, something recommended by the company i.e. Floor and Decor itself.
- Though acclimation isn’t a necessity for NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring, it’s still a safer approach to let the plank acclimation take place at least 15 to 24 hours, in advance of the fitting. This will allow the plank expansion, eventually making them well-synced with the humidity and temperature levels of your place.
- The best way for acclimating NuCore Vinyl Planks is to mix them after opening the boxes. This way, proper acclimation will prevent any swelling or warping of the planks later. And mixing them will also help in the adequate and even distribution of the dye patterns of planks.
- Another crucial factor to be taken care of is the extent of the surrounding temperature which should ideally remain between 60℉ and 80℉, all the time, i.e. before, during, and after the floor fitting.
- It has an “angle-and-tap” similar to the click-together flooring and therefore there is no need for any nails or glue/adhesion for fitting the planks.
- It is advisable that you should glue down your flooring at the points that will be subjected to direct sunlight, once it has been locked together. Also, gluing down is essential for the flooring installation on stairs.
- There is no need for transition strips when NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring has to be installed within multiple rooms.
- When installing the flooring, ensure to leave appropriate expansion gaps for the planks, so that there is no chance of any defiling or structural damage. Spacers work best for this purpose and you’ll want to leave a gap of a quarter inch.
- During installation, once you’re done with the first row, remember cutting around 6 inches from the second row’s first plank for ensuring maximum durability and preventing the end seams from lining up.
- Ensure waiting up to 24 hours before beginning the usage of your new NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring.
Maintaining NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
- It’s really easy to care for NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring, however, doing it properly and regularly is also equally crucial to make the most out of the flooring treatment.
- Regular cleaning and vacuuming at least once a week are mandatory procedures, as this keeps any buildup at bay.
- Vacuuming is not a preferable idea in the first place, since it comes with the risks of floor denting and scratching. However, it can be done in a watchful manner, essentially without any beater bars.
- Strictly avoid any harsh cleaners for NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring. These include all kinds of multi-purpose cleaners and DIY cleaners involving vinegar or other similar elements. Also, do not subject your flooring to bleach, waxing, or polishing.
- It is somewhat okay to steam clean NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring, however, the flooring must not be in prolonged contact with the steam. Besides, it’s best to use a soft pad along and to keep the lowest power setting.
- Though NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring has a waterproof nature, it’s still favorable to clear out any of the spills or liquids immediately to not let any damage take place.
- Ensuring placing doormats or foot mats at all the entrance and exit points to avoid the transfer of dirt, dust, and debris. Moreover, avoid walking with shoes over the flooring.
- Treat the legs and feet of your furniture with soft protective pads so that they don’t cause any abrasion to the floor. Ensure placing mats at areas with higher footfall.
Cost Of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
- NuCore Vinyl Plank flooring costs around $2.35 per square foot to $3.80 per square foot.
Learn more about Vinyl Plank Flooring Prices – Installation costs as well.
- This flooring lies within the middle-value range in terms of rigid core flooring.
- The cartons of NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring cover around 19 feet to 30 feet of the area.
- It is only available at Floor and Decor
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring Vs Other Brands
|Brands||Cost (per square foot)|
|Shaw||$6.99 per square foot|
|COREtec||$7 per square foot to $7.50 per square foot|
|Mohawk||$4.35 per square foot|
|Cali Bamboo||$6.49 per square foot|
|LifeProof||$4 per square foot to $4.99 per square foot|
|Mannington||$5.50 per square foot to $6 per square foot|
|SmartCore||$3.89 per square foot|