Vinyl Flooring or Vinyl Plank Flooring, as it is often called, is a treatment by a continuous layering of large and flexible pieces (planks). LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank), LVT (Luxury Vinyl Tiles), Tile Flooring, Vinyl Tiles or Engineered Vinyl are some of the other mainstream ways in which Vinyl Flooring is often referred to as.
Vinyl Flooring is one the most super smart flooring ideas because of its structural uniformity and many supportive and long term favorable aspects.
Structural Comprehension Of Vinyl Flooring
Multiple layers get combined to form this incredible flooring and the basis of the highly resilient and durable functionality of Vinyl Flooring. Let’s have a concise understanding about each proceeding from bottom to top:
- Padding: The pre-attached pad often made of cork works for sound absorption and making the flooring comfortable to step on
- Core Layer: The strengthening layer either made of wood or stone, along with certain polymers combined. WPC (Wood Polymer Core) and SPC (Stone Polymer Core) are the two versions.
- Image Layer: Also known as the design layer or the Luxury vinyl layer, which features all the realistic designs and textured patterns resembling stone, wood or tiles
- Protective Layer: often called the wear layer, made of polyurethane and ceramic beads for additional strengthening and features different levels of thickness
Vinyl Flooring is a versatile flooring and comes with different warranty levels for both residential and commercial utilization. So a thorough research about the best suitable product choice is mandatory beforehand.
Thickness of Vinyl Flooring
One mainstream structural thickness level of Vinyl Flooring is up to 8 mm with a starting thickness of 2 mm. Of course, thickness serves as a definitive criteria for determining the build quality of the flooring and therefore, greater extents are usually recommended if you’re planning on some heavy-duty utilizations of the Vinyl Flooring.
The Deciding Factors
However, according to the opinion of some experts, it isn’t the flooring thickness that’s going to be serviceable, rather the thickness and quality of its wear layer. This certainly is a believable school of thought because, after all, it’s the wear layer that will bear all the weight, impact and immediate interaction with the entire objects, foot traffic, etc.
This implies the fact to consider the wear layer as a focal factor when opting for vinyl flooring.
Vinyl Flooring Core Differentiations
Vinyl Flooring features two major versions, based upon the type and structural profile of the core.
WPC (Wood Polymer Core)
WPC Vinyl flooring features up to 6 layers with the foam or cork padding layer being optional. This version is usually dedicated to residential usage due to somewhat less toughness against heavy impact, wear and tear and other influential factors.
However, it can still be used at commercial places or offices with a controlled utilization pressure.
P.S This core type feels thick yet soft underfoot.
SPC (Stone Polymer Core)
SPC Vinyl Flooring comes with up to 4 layers and the padding is optional in this situation, as well. It’s the tough, heavy-duty and durable flooring that can be totally considered for high-end purposes and particularly heavy commercial-grade usage.
Besides, it’s needless to say that this flooring goes well for residential uses, too.
P.S. This core type is thinner in profile and feels somewhat harder underfoot.
Installation Based Versions
Vinyl Flooring has 4 major types regarding the installation manner.
- Interlocking: Interlocking LVP’s have a tongue-and-groove format and their joining forms a floating floor, which normally doesn’t require glue in the entire application. However, glue can be used in some larger areas to ensure stability.
- Glue Down: This design comes with closely aligning pieces that need to be spread entirely with glue and put down afterwards. Such Vinyl planks usually have an SPC core.
- Loose Lay: This kind of design, as the name suggests, simply needs laying down on the floor and there is no gluing, fastening or tongue-and-groove alignment required. This design proves favorable for where there is a great need for flooring removal repeatedly.
- Peel And Stick: It’s a design that works a bit similar to that of the carpet tiles and has a simple peeling and fitting mechanism. This design has its benefit in being the easiest to pick up and reposition again and again.
What Makes Vinyl Flooring Worth It?
Vinyl Flooring is quite a new and really smart concept in the world of flooring treatments and is a highly dedicated solution for a vast majority of usage dimensions. Vinyl flooring features an extremely practical and suitable structural profile, which adds to its effective versatility.
What makes vinyl flooring unique from other flooring such as it's counterpart laminate flooring. For Comparsion: Laminate Vs Vinyl Flooring
It’s The Structure You Pay For
One major example here is the Vinyl Sheet flooring, which is one incredible choice to go for. It features a wholly rich and uniform structure with no seams and thus puts an ultimate end to the damage caused by moisture. From living spaces to even the basements, Vinyl Flooring has got the abilities to be considered for all spaces.
In the same way, vinyl flooring can absolutely provide for your other requirements as well. This could either be the depiction of any desired effect such as wood grain looks or simply a sturdy surfacing for those places where huge foot traffic is the most expected factor.
Plus, it’s a choice that’s always been used as a more easy-to-acquire and on-the-go kind of alternative to those really expensive flooring solutions, like real wood, etc.
It’s Entirely Easy
Other factors that support the usage include the ease of both installation and maintenance. When it comes to taking care of Vinyl Flooring, it’s more easy than you can think of.
Besides, even if you can’t manage a really strict maintenance routine, still the consequences won’t be that serious at all. Besides that, you get a lot to play with the aesthetic side too, and can fulfill literally any and every purpose that you look forward to from your next flooring.
It’s Uniquely Aesthetic
Vinyl Flooring, as an interesting fact, is one of those entirely incredible flooring treatments that comes with infinite freedom of styling. Since you’ve read about the Luxury Vinyl Layer (image/ design layer), that’s exactly the ornamental point of Vinyl Flooring.
And the very step where you can design and customize all the required designing of your Vinyl Flooring, whether it is an individual motif or the one giving off the effect of another kind of flooring, such as let’s say it’s the look of tiles or any type of wood flooring.
There Are Multiple Pricing Options
Vinyl Flooring, while it’s a wholly mind-blowing home decor/essential element to gain, the best part is that it can’t possibly be a burden on your budget, in any way. Besides, you get several different cost options and thus it becomes really easy and practically possible to go for the most suitable one.
You get the cheapest options too, and you can gain the super privileged expensive ones, as well.
There Are No Extras
Settling for Vinyl Flooring is the kind of decision that makes you totally relieved of the concern about any kind of additional expenses. Here, additional expenses refer to the cost that needs to be set aside regarding installation or spending on certain accessories.
Fitting Vinyl Flooring is really easy to take over as a DIY project and you can absolutely ace that process without the need to seek (and spend on!) professional help. The same goes for those somewhat unnecessary accessories that you can totally skip with Vinyl Flooring and thus can save yourself quite considerable money.
The Major Plus Points Of Vinyl Flooring Treatment
Vinyl Flooring is a treatment worth going for. No matter what’s the existing condition of your subfloors is, as it can literally fix any and every situation while making the entire space stand out in no time! Given below are some other convincing perks:
- Realistic Resistance: Beginning from being entirely waterproof, all the way to a promising resistance against other aspects, vinyl flooring is indeed the most recommended solution. It can save your subfloors from major damage and can make your lives a lot easier and safer than before. And it is needless to say that where there is little to no chance of potential damages, the product under consideration is meant to endure.
- Spectacular Suiting: Vinyl Flooring can totally sync with any and every given scenario, whether it’s the functional aspects or the aesthetic side. If the decor theme of your room or space asks for a certain particular flooring appearance, you can have that effect affordably with the help of Vinyl Flooring. Besides, this flooring can remain tough against scratching, denting, impact and other such factors, too. As an example, you can even consider the usage of a commercial or your gym, as well.
- Doubtless Durability: Your next home flooring treatment done with Vinyl Flooring is probably to last for up to 20 years and more too, if you consider taking care of it the right way. Both the working and the appearance remain the same. It’s the build quality that can withstand all the usage extent.
- Cost-Effectivity: Vinyl Flooring repays all the purchase costs as it is a nearly life-time sustainable treatment. Not just the overall working pays back well, but it also favors you in other ways, such as through energy-efficiency. When combined with a fine and thick underlay, Vinyl flooring can efficiently insulate your interiors, thus reducing energy bills. This goes for excessive noise absorption, as well, which is a dire requirement in both residential and corporate spaces.
- Vast Versatility: Vinyl Flooring is one of the most many-sided, beneficial sorts of floor treatments that can be considered for multiple spaces and areas. It’s genuinely the best residential flooring and the most purposeful commercial-grade surfacing too. The sturdiness makes it tough enough for outdoor and extreme impact involving utilization conditions, too.
- Credible Criteria: Vinyl Flooring features multiple certifications regarding its environmental stability and if you’re really considerate about this factor, an excellent piece of advice for you is to check out your manufacturer’s website for acknowledging the criteria passed by their Vinyl Flooring.
The mainstream certifications of Vinyl Flooring include FloorScore, GreenGuard, CARB2, Phthalate-free and Hypoallergenic. The terminologies can totally understand the efficiency dimensions only as they depict the eco-friendly and irritants/allergens free construction of Vinyl Flooring.
A Few Cons of Vinyl Flooring To Remember
There indeed are a few unfavorable aspects that can influence one’s decision. Since there are chances that despise all the incredible working, Vinyl Flooring still can’t be your thing to go for.
That bit of a dark side involves:
- No Refinishing: It is, as a matter of fact, technically impossible to refinish Vinyl Floors, specifically when there is a lot of discoloration shown by the wear layer. And the only possible fix in this situation is to go for a replacement. This has to be considered a major con, as compared to other floorings, where refinishing is an option to revive the flooring.
- Possible Damaging Scenarios: Certain sharp objects such as heels, tools, cutlery or something are likely to scratch Vinyl Flooring. The same goes for way too hefty stuff, which has a huge possibility of bringing about surface dents. This implies the fact that Vinyl flooring isn’t totally damage-proof, and if your usage involves any such situations, you might need to reconsider your decision.
- Sunlight Effect: Harsh sunlight is a major damaging factor for Vinyl Flooring and can cause severe discoloration to it over the time. Therefore, it is needless to say that Vinyl Flooring isn’t an option for spaces that get excessively exposed to the Sun.
- Difficult Removal: Since mostly it is glued down and going for the removal of that residue is a definitive bummer. As for doing the former Vinyl Flooring removal yourself, you’ll be needing either a glue solvent or a sander. These are quite demanding and risky to use and, in most cases, you’re left with no option but to seek professional removal services that often are quite expensive.
- No Recycling: Vinyl Flooring is non-biodegradable in nature and there is no way of disposing of it without causing environmental damage. Most of the Vinyl Flooring construction comprises plastic, which has the ultimate destination of landfills.
How Much To Pay For Vinyl Flooring Installation?
Vinyl Flooring Installation, in general, can cost you up to $3 per square foot. This pricing then gets influenced by either/ all of these three factors, i.e. Tile or plank cost, accessories price and labor cost.
And if you’re getting professional installation, then the overall project expenses can get extended based on the contractors you’ve reached out to, your locality and the difficulty level of the work.
The cost of Vinyl Flooring ranges from $1 (cheapest price) per square foot to $7 (most expensive) per square foot. Another important aspect to be known at this point is that the WPC core Vinyl Flooring is generally more costly, as compared to the SPC one.
Over and above, you can always save yourself the installation cost as well as those expenses likely to take place regarding accessories.
Fitting Vinyl Flooring; Professional Or DIY?
Vinyl flooring, as mentioned earlier too, is a legit comfort zone for installation expenses, since in most of the cases, you can easily skip the professional installation. Fitting is quite easy to do yourself and thus you don’t need to spare additional bucks in this regard, too.
Over and above, there is a minimal to no need for the addition of accessories and you can totally eliminate this part as well, if you are working on a tight budget.
The mainstream dimensions you need to proceed in are subfloor preparation, flooring cutting, bonding and snapping. Take a look at the essential steps.
- Getting the flooring according to the got square footage of your intended space
- Taking out of the former flooring and every single hurdle, as well
- Building a paper template of the working area (optional)
- Putting and installing the underlayment (preferably a vinyl-floor grade underlayer plywood)
- Gluing and laying down of the Vinyl
- Finishing off the flooring and letting it dry for a couple of hours
- Remove all the skirting, trim, molding and threshold steps, if any.
- Caulking of the adjoining points of flooring and baseboards
P.S. If you want to play really safe and aren’t in the mood for going wrong at any point, you can always go for hiring professional Vinyl Flooring installation.
Top-Rated Vinyl Flooring Brands Recommendations 2022
Coming ahead are those highly renowned brands for Vinyl Flooring that offer great ranges within all suitable versions.
This Home Depot Exclusive provides mid-price range Vinyl Flooring and several other amazing ranges as well. One noteworthy feature is the 22 mil thick wear layer of LifeProof Vinyl Flooring.
Home Decorators Collection
This is an amazing brand recommendation to consider if you’re looking for great quality Vinyl Flooring on a budget. Their collections are excellent and come within the affordable price range of $2 per square foot.
Cali Bamboo has been one of the most excellent brands in recent years and has gained immense popularity because of its exclusive WPC Vinyl Flooring range. The speciality lies in the non-wooden core containing a durable bamboo powder. Besides, this brand has an exquisite range of SPC core Vinyl Flooring, as well.
COREtec is known to be the best overall brand regarding Luxury Vinyl Flooring, which comes in an infinite choices compilation including both WPC and SPC cores. Their flooring not only is the most durable but also comes with a pre-attached padding and thus feels really soft underfoot and is ultimately good at acoustic protection, too.
Armstrong is known for its widely introduced range of flooring designs and color pallets for various home decor themes. They feature the highest quality commercial-grade Vinyl Flooring and thus have been the overall best Commercial flooring brand. Their commercial-grade tough flooring features cultured diamonds in the core and lasts for up to 20 years.
This best value brand has the credit of providing sublime quality Luxury Vinyl Flooring, that too, within super budget-friendly price ranges. One notable aspect is the 22 mil thick wear layer of NuCore every available design.
Mohawk, of course, is an ultimate winner for the quality of flooring. It is known for owning the most phenomenal lines of both glue down and floating floorings. Besides, the pricing is really economical, as well.
Shaw is the best LVP brand overall with its sublime quality flooring, creating the most mind-blowing decors. Moreover, the flooring ranges come with reasonable warranties, as well.
Smartcore is owned by COREtec and you can find their flooring products at Lowes. Smartcore provides for all requirements of spaces flaunted with Vinyl Flooring. There are classy choices of mid-range Vinyl Flooring within both SPC core line and WPC core line, that too, within reasonable price ranges.
FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
What To Do For Matching Vinyl Flooring To Existing Hardwood?
It’s quite simple to match your vinyl flooring with the existing hardwood, since all you need to do is to apply transition strips. These molding pieces or strips are meant for bridging two different toned floorings and those, too, which have different evaluation levels.
Which Is The Best Adhesive For Vinyl Flooring On Concrete?
Roberts 6300 Pressure Sensitive Vinyl Adhesive is an excellent choice in this regard. It works for a secure fixing of vinyl flooring atop concrete and can work for an extensive choice of other types of subfloors, too. However, you’ll need to make sure that your concrete subfloor is totally free from wax or any other residue for a strong adhesion.
What To Do For Installing Vinyl Plank Flooring On Stairs?
Make sure that your intended stairs are thoroughly cleaned and free from any type of residue. As another prepping step, it’s highly recommended to remove any molding or trims present around the stairs. Use a jigsaw to cut the vinyl plank in accordance with the surface area of the riser and secure it in place with some glue or adhesive.
What Is The General Home Depot Vinyl Flooring Installation Cost?
The cost of sheet vinyl installation is up to $15 per sq. Yard and up to $2 per sq. feet click-lock vinyl plank and vinyl tile fitting, at the Home Depot. This pricing is likely to extend according to the labor involved or the difficulty level of flooring installation within your place(s).
Which Is The Best Vinyl Plank Flooring For Basement?
LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank) is the ideal flooring choice for the basement, since it is reasonably resilient and long-lasting in nature. Besides, as basements are highly prone to moisture damage, LVP is the right option because of its waterproof structure. Also, LVP is relatively a budget-friendly treatment to go for.
Is Outdoor Vinyl Flooring For Decks A Good Idea?
Vinyl Flooring is fairly an amazing choice for nearly all outdoor spaces because of its high resilience extent. Most importantly, it’s entirely waterproof and thus can be installed in all moisture-prone outdoor places such as decks. Also, vinyl flooring features a great toughness against atmospheric impact, too.
What Color Decor Theme Will Go With Light Brown Vinyl Flooring?
You’ve got many color choices to play with for pairing a space’s decor with light brown Vinyl Flooring. The most whimsical color pallets include grayish and true tones of green, violet, blue and a blue that’s infused with a cool-toned red. These colors create a cool-looking effect and you can balance the entire look this way, as well.
What To Do For Discontinued Vinyl Plank Flooring?
Look for the original flooring details along with the model number, color name and specific manufacturer’s name. Use this info as you reach out to the platform where you got your flooring from and ask if there’s some additional stock left. Alternatively, you can check online for similar flooring versions and can also seek help from certain selling platforms such as eBay.
Do I Need To Consider Accessories And Installation Cost For Vinyl Flooring?
Vinyl Flooring is truly the one with the least cost requirement because it is a super easy DIY project and, excluding some rare cases, there is no need to seek professional installation help. The same goes for accessories which are considered an extra and you don’t really need to spare expenses for them.
What To Do With The Low Spots And Cupped Edges When Installing Vinyl Flooring?
Cupped edges are usually a situation experienced with wood floors and the best remedy in this regard is to sand them down. As for the low spots over a concrete subfloor, a quick and effective fix is to apply self-leveling concrete in order to fill those spaces.
Can Vinyl Flooring Be Refinished?
It is technically impossible to refinish Vinyl floors and is considered one of the major flaws of Vinyl Flooring, as compared to other ones, such as hardwood floors. Various sealers can apply to vinyl floors as a temporary fix for scratches. However, if severe damage is done, there is no option but to get the vinyl floor replaced.
How Long To Wait Before Walking On Click Vinyl Flooring?
In general, it’s a favorable idea to wait essentially for 48 hours before stepping on the freshly installed Click vinyl flooring. The main reason for this is that mostly vinyl flooring is made to adhere using a specified vinyl glue, which of course, requires time for drying out completely. Therefore, waiting is necessary so as to not give rise to any damage.
Is It Okay To Put Bulky Furniture Or A Refrigerator Atop Vinyl Flooring?
That is totally okay because Vinyl flooring comes with a great build quality, which is tough and impact-resistant, as well. One mainstream level of the holding ability of vinyl flooring is up to 500 pounds, and since the net weight of the object gets divided over multiple planks, there is nothing wrong with putting heavy furniture or even a refrigerator on top of vinyl flooring.
Why Does My Vinyl Flooring Feel Like It Is Bouncing?
One major cause of vinyl flooring planks going bouncy is excessive water damage. You can also try their trimming in order to provide some space for expansion when installed next to walls. However, the last fix for extremely damaged and bouncy vinyl planks is to have them replaced and be careful with too much moisture exposure for the next flooring.
How Do I Protect My Vinyl Flooring Plank From Getting Scratched?
One of the most effective remedies in this regard is applying felt pads to both the floor touching boards as well as the feet of your furniture. This way, there won’t be any scratches and damage taking place even if there is a need to move furniture pieces or other heavy objects.